Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Scottish Export Ale

I brewed a Scottish Export Ale last Friday 2/24. I did a step infusion mash. The first temperature was 140 degrees F for 45 minutes. The second was 150 for 45 minutes. The third was 159 for 45 minutes. I sparged well and boiled for 90 minutes.

The brew worked out great with an O.G. of 1.058. The only odd thing that happened was when I activated the liquid yeast. I "thought" I smashed it and mixed the yeast with the nutrient, but it really didn't break and mix. So, I had to pitch the yeast as it was. This resulted in a very slow start to the fermentation. But, I checked it today and the gravity is now 1.012. The color is pretty dark for a Scottish Export Ale, but still within bjcp guidelines.

I brewed this batch to enter into the beer contest at Forest City Brewers.

Visit my site at beerandwineathome.com for other information.

No comments:

Post a Comment