Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

The Russian Imperial Stout is in the Primary

In my last post, click here if you missed it, I wrote about the Russian Imperial Stout I am brewing for The Forest City Brewers Club.  I did a single mash infusion at 150 degrees F.  I mashed for a long time as the O.G. for a Russian Imperial Stout should be at or above 1.075.  My brew ended up right at 1.075.  In hindsight, if I would've added 190 degree F water to the mash to increase the temperature to about 158 degrees F, I would've extracted unfermentable sugars which would've added to the body of the beer sending it well past 1.075.  As a result, my beer will be a bit higher in alcohol as long as the yeast lives and can survive in the higher alcoholic brew.

Regardless, the color is right, the body is a bit lighter then it should be, but all in all... it's gonna be a great tasting beer to add to the bourbon barrel to age!

Feel free to visit my site at:  www.beerandwineathome.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment